Saturday 28 April 2007

LibraryThing

One of the first things I love to do when I go to someone's house is to check out the titles they have on their bookshelf. Now, over at LibraryThing.com, there is a way to peek at people's bookshelves online. It's really very simple--after choosing a user name and password, you just type in the titles from your home library, add them to a list and then you have created a visual display of all your book covers in alphabetical order. The social networking aspect of the site is that with every title in your personal library, there is a link to other LibraryThing users who have the same title in their library. When you click on any title, you are also provided with a list of 20 recommendations related to the topic. Various discussion threads such as librarian discussions and book reviews are also included. Feel free to check out the books on my virtual bookshelves.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tara -

This appeals to me sense of order - I love the idea of cataloguing one's own books and then being able to access a quick glance recommendation list.

- Sharon

Anonymous said...

If only I could type, that should say MY sense order - but you already know that!

Anonymous said...

I spent the last two days cataloguing like mad :)

- Sharon

Anonymous said...

sharon,

i thought the ME sense of order was your irish coming out. :) send me your link once you have everything catalogued. i love your taste in books!

tara

Anonymous said...

Tara -

Can you tell me how to create a link from my own burgeoning blog (!!! - you have inspired me) to my Library Thing page. Thanks.

- Sharon

Anonymous said...

Figured it out. Easy and fun.

- S