Saturday 26 February 2011

Celebrating Characters We Love--Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I've held the 5th graders off long enough--they were ready for their own Celebrating Characters Day back in December, but I asked them to wait just a bit for me to catch my breath after Star Wars. What I love about the big kids is that they already formed an organizing group and came ready with ideas for our Diary of a Wimpy Kid Celebration that will take place on March 18. We're making advertisements this week, and we have written a letter/plea to Jeff Kinney to tape a short message that we could play at the celebration. It's a long shot, but they feel strongly that I should send it (we're including the photo of us with our Greg and Holly masks on).

One big change we are making this time is to not have food at the event. It was simply too crazy, and the kids had no problem with this. Instead, it's shaping up to be a pretty creative afternoon. Another change is that the organizers want to run a center instead of simply attending the event. Here are some of our centers thus far:

1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid website in the tech zone
2. Drawing tutorials in the Smartboard area--one girl is filming herself drawing Greg and Holly and will also wander around to help others
3. Cheese Touch game--this will be a version of the traditional Heads-Up 7Up game, but with the cheese touch
4. Trivia tests, both easy and hard
5. Unfinished Comics from the Do It Yourself Wimpy Kid book

The only bummer is that there are no costumes this time. I do love a good excuse to dress up!

2 comments:

Angie said...

These character days sound like loads of fun. I never commented but as a Star Wars fan I thought that post was awesome. (And when the Star Wars Craft Book finally comes out next month maybe I will hold an activity myself!)

Though it's not directly related to the books ... last year before the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie came out we held a Dress Like a Wimpy Kid day. It was HILARIOUS with all sorts of pants hiked all the way up and taped glasses and shorts with tube socks. Your quintessential "nerd" getups.

Tara said...

Angie,

Thanks for the costume idea! Love it! And a Star Wars craft book?!? Can't wait to get my hands on that! :)